Sunday, March 14, 2010

In Lafayette, Louisiana

Second day on the road in southern Louisiana was still pretty boring.  Traffic was down getting well away from New Orleans and I was able to loop through small towns on back roads and avoid the US-90 highway.  The road criss-crosses the Intracoastal Waterway a few times and each spot is a tall steel bridge like so:


This spot was at Amelie, and I just missed getting a tugboat passing in the background.  Here and especially the next town west - Morgan City - there were some serious marine industries.  Enormous salvage barges and cranes, lots of huge pieces of steel right along the road.  I remember some of the names, like Tidewater Co, as marine engine customers at Electro-Motive.  Neat.  Here's the crossing at Morgan City:


From there I detoured up through the Acadian (that is, Cajun) towns of New Iberia, St. Martinville and Breaux Bridge.  All of which were in full-crawfish mode on a lenten Friday.  I was going to make a detour to a famous bayou swamp, Lake Martin, near Breaux bridge but when I got to the lake the launch ramp was full of super-bubba types tossing six-packs around doing burnouts in their pickups and getting ready for a Friday night of god-knows-what on the lake.  I felt kinda out of place so I opted not to do the secluded dirt-road loop tour around the lake...  From there it was a roll into Lafayette, which had a big Crawfish festival going on at the Minor League ballpark downtown.  Music there was lousy but I'm sure there's much better in town.  After all, it's famous for being a hotspot. Oh well, I'm tired.


Oops!  How'd that get in there?  Hey, gotta give the love to all my two-wheeled friends.





View Spring Break 2010, Day 7 in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment